Monday, November 30, 2009

Westward Ho!


We are planning a short trip to the west coast.
Of California, that is…

It is obviously going to be a rich source of inspiration for this blog.

An early item on the agenda was booking flights.
Scottish-based relatives who are heading to the same place at the same time, but got organized first, told us their best buy had been with Air France (surprise!) via Paris (!) booking through KLM, so it looked as though we were well placed to start.
Try as I would, I could find no good-value flights that way.
Or anywhere via Paris or any French airport.
After a lot of searching, my best shot was with British Airways, from Frankfurt via Heathrow!
This is crazy.

I can only think they must get some kind of subsidy from the Mafia for adding helpful baggage-snatching stops.
Or they are building-in some slack for future CO2 reduction...

Having found my best buy on Opodo UK site, I got through all the purchasing procedure, only to find they would not accept my UK-bank Visa debit card without a UK address.
Same result with my French-bank International MasterCard.
I phoned Opodo who told me that with non-UK addresses, they only accept American Express or International Visa.
Unbelievable.

I then tried the French Opodo site, but surprisingly it did not offer the same flights or anything very appealing.

In desperation, I found the German Opodo site did offer the same attractive flights, but 10% more expensive than UK.
That was still the best I could do, so we are now booked (unless my somewhat-sketchy German has betrayed me, that is).

European transparency still has a way to go…

Parting thot: "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." – Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment