Saturday, May 9, 2009

Freecycle


In a previous post, "Emmaus", I was disappointed that I could not give things away, even to a well-known national charity organisation.
And I would still like to avoid taking useable things to the "recycling center" where they will only be recycled as raw material or landfill.

Since then, I have kept my eyes open & have recently discovered "Freecycle".
http://www.freecycle.org/
This is an American-based organisation, run by a network of local volunteers, which aims to help people to give stuff away via internet.
A sort of eBay for free things only.
The above site says they have over 6 million members in nearly 5000 local groups worldwide.
Sounds like it might be what I am looking for.

There are even 42 groups with 26,000 members in France.
http://fr.freecycle.org/accueil/
But not an active one near Strasbourg.

So I suppose the question now is, "Can I be bothered to try to set up a local group?"

Parting thot: "There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it." - Monta Crane

1 comment:

  1. Good you found freecycle. ToolzDo makes the freecycle moderator job much easier and less time consuming. With ToolzDo you don't even have to create a group, just join ToolzDo and send an email to everyone who may be interested to join ToolzDo. Next thing you know, your group is up and growing faster than any other group because ToolzDo is Facebook for freecycle. It's a lot more fun.
    http://www.toolzdo.com/how_it_works_give_get

    ReplyDelete