Thursday, April 16, 2009

Knot Worth Knowing


I can't say that tying shoelaces has been a significant item in my life.

I don't remember being taught to tie them, I didn't do my share of teaching the kids to tie them, and I just do it automatically without thinking.
I tie them several times a day, sometimes simply & sometimes with an extra hitch.
They occasionally come undone, more often get a bit loose & need tightening, less often are tough to undo, usually if wet.

At least they did until, looking for the best way to lace hiking boots, I came across "Ian's Shoelace Site".
Yes, seriously: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/index.htm

If you have several hours to spare, you can browse just about everything there is to know about lacing & knotting shoes & boots there.
And I am sure you did not believe there was so much to know about shoelaces.

The gem is "Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot".
I have been using it for 2 years now, without any extra hitch, and have never had a knot come undone, loosen, or be difficult to undo.
I can't say this has changed my life, made me rich, brought me new friends, or taken inches off my waistline.
But it is one small, surprising, piece of daily satisfaction.
Worth a try.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

You might be more tempted by "The World's Fastest Shoelace Knot" complete with video illustration.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm

Parting thot: "A small step in the right direction is progress; running around in circles is not."

No comments:

Post a Comment